Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Accessing HKUL E-resources
Access from HKUL
Authentication for access to HKUL e-resources is required. Access via Find@HKUL or the Electronic Resources page would direct you through our EZProxy server prompting HKUL login. Upon successful login, access will be granted.
Access from a non-HKUL website, such as a publisher’s website or Google Scholar, would not trigger the HKUL login page. You may be asked to pay for access.
Check out the special access hints to facilitate your access to HKUL e-resources.
Ask a Librarian
Special Access Hint 1
A. HKUL Search Assistant
For Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge
- Install the extension in your web browser.
- When accessing a resource from a publisher's website, click on the browser extension and then click on
- This will trigger the HKUL authentication page for login.
How to access electronic resources via HKUL authentication
B. Reload via HKUL bookmarklet
For Desktop: IE and Safari
- Install the bookmarklet on your web browser. Drag this button up to your bookmarks toolbar (or right-click to save it to your favorites toolbar).
- A new button appears in your toolbar, like this:
- When accessing a resource from a publisher's website, click on the Reload via HKUL bookmarklet in your toolbar. You will be prompted to authenticate with your HKU Portal/ library account.
For gadgets: iPad and iPhone
Install the bookmarklet on your iPad and iPhone
Copy the following bookmarklet code of Reload via HKUL to your iPad and iPhone:
- When accessing a resource from a publisher's website, tap on the bookmark, Reload via HKUL on your gadgets. You will be prompted to authenticate with your HKU Portal/ library account for login.
Note: Access is only granted for HKUL subscribed resources and to eligible patrons only.
Special Access Hint 2
- Go to http://scholar.google.com
- Click on “Settings”
- Click on "Library Links" on the left
- Enter "HKU" in search box
- Select "The University of Hong Kong - View It@HKUL"
- “Save” the settings
Search and get full text
- Search Google Scholar
- Click "View It@HKUL" to get full text.
- "View It@HKUL" could sometimes be hidden under “More”.
- Do not click on the title link. This might take you to a website which HKUL has not taken out a subscription and, therefore, you will be asked to pay.