Web of Science
- Connect to the database Web of Knowledge
- Once you are in Web of Knowledge, click on the tab for "Web of Science"
- In the middle of the search template, you will see a hyperlink for "Author Finder". Please click on it. You will then need to go through several steps:
- Enter author name: E.g. enter "Ho" as last name, "J" as first initial and "CM" as middle initials. Click on the "Next" button.
- Select author variant, and then click on the "Next" button.
- Select subject category: If the author's publications might fall under different subject disciplines, select all. And then, click on the Next button.
- Select institution: Tick those institutions which the author is or have been affiliated with. And then click on the "Finish Now" button.
- Click on the "Create Citation Report" hyperlink. You will then get data such as number of publications, times cited and the h-index.
- Access Scopus
- Click on the "Author Search" tab.
- Enter the last name and the initials. E.g. "Ho" as last name, "J.C.M." as initial. Please also tick the checkbox for "Show exact matches".
- You may then see a list of authors with variant name formats. For the above example, you will find two author records. If you refer to the record which belongs to this author, and click on the "Details" link, you will find the citation analysis data, including the number of publications, times cited, h-index. E.g. For this author, there are 28 publications receiving 191 citations and the h-index is 9.
Note: As there may be publications by other authors with the same name, or variant forms of the same name, perhaps there are two things that you may wish to do at this stage:
- To make sure that entries under variant author names are included in the analysis: Click open "Find unmatched authors" and check if there are other forms of this name. If there are entries that refer to this author, tick the checkbox against the entry. Then, click on the "Group with author" button. These publications will then be added to perform an aggregate analysis.
- To make sure that all documents included have been written by this author and not by someone else under the same name: Click on the number against "Document". Go through the list and mark those which belong to this author. After this, click on the "Citation Tracker" button. A new analysis will be performed, and you will get a new figure for "Cited By' and h-index.
For more information, please contact your Faculty Librarian.
Your Science and Engineering Faculties Librarian
5/F, Main Library, University of Hong Kong,
Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong.
Phone: (852) 2219-4748